June 07, 2009

Using my Sony Cybershot W-35 to get better photos

I purchased my first digital camera in Apr 07. The model was Sony Cybershot DSC W-35. A pretty regular point and click camera.  Well this model has been stopped from production and Sony has come with various other newer models. After purchasing I always felt that the this camera is not performing to the expectation. I felt that sometimes the photo is not even matching with the photos taken from Sony K810i camera. Of late, I have even started thinking of getting another camera. Well, before buying any new camera I started understanding what I need in camera and whether  I will get the same in my budget. After giving some thought I have started to understand some ways to make the current camera take better photos.

Disclaimer: The ideas presented are purely mine and need to apply to you to get the best result.

So here are my points:
  1. First understand what are capabilities and limitation of  camera. My camera  7 MP camera with 3X zoom is very basic and will not always produce the acceptable results.
  2. Try to take the photos from the closest possible position.
  3. Take the photographs in highest possible resolution. This helps in cropping the photo to get the required image while maintaining good quality of photo.
  4. Avoid automatic settings during the day or while in a room or small hall. Keep the setting to manual, usually set the ISO to something like 100 - 400, if possible using multi-focus function, Enable image stabilization and keep settings like flash to slow sync if possible.
  5. Try avoiding the zoom (even optical zoom). If you really require to use the zoom function, try to keep the camera or your elbow steady using support from some table, wall, etc.
  6. Almost all camera will give grainy image at higher ISO rating, try to find out the the highest ISO rating for your camera most camera can work upto ISO 400 without much graininess in the picture. In case of my camera, ISO 100 & 200 works best. Use higher ISO only you have very bright light falling on the subject to be photographed.
  7. Try to keep flash on (possible in slow sync state) for all the photos except for landscape photos and long shots in low light and darkness.
  8. Never expose the camera sensor to direct sunlight or other strong light.
  9. Try to follow the rule of thirds to get better photos
  10. Take more than one snaps of the photo to have option to select the best one later.
  11. IF you have good camera which has option to save photo in RAW format, go ahead and do it. You can always apply the default camera processing through the camera software of your computer.
  12. Learn a bit of Photoshop or GIMP, use them to correct the graininess of the photo to some extent, also it is possible to do some color and temperature corrections.
  13. While shooting in night have poor expectations from your camera, don't shoot fast moving objects, avoid flash for large area shot. If possible try only portrait shots in night.
  14. Know the capability of your camera flash and try to use it as wisely as possible.
  15. Apply your mind and experiment a lot in various conditions to know what works best for your camera in various conditions.
I hope my guide will at least help some people to take better photos.

Well you may be wondering what about my plan to buy a new camera. Yeah, its still in my mind but may be next year I will invest in some prosumer camera.

PS: If you like my post please share it on some of the services below. Thanks.