February 12, 2009

Speed up your PC (Windows guide)

As a PC user, my first introduction to mouse and GUI was Windows and most of us had the same experience i.e. MS Windows. While there are few using other OS particularly Mac and GNU/Linux but they constitute minuscule small number of people. Lets concentrate on Windows user. Out of which most of us are average user who don't know neither care about its functioning and maintenance of PC. So for us there are various free and commercial software to take care of the PC, its maintenance, smooth functioning and keeping it up-to-date. Some such free softwares are CCleaner and Advanced System Pro Basic and so on... You can also opt for more professional solutions which are paid one including TuneUp utilities and System Mechanic. Well These softwares are really great but there are few things which we can do to make our PC better without the help of software and some of these features can't be achieved by softwares. I am just compiling a small list which I do to make my PC faster, more responsive and better performing.

So here is my list (I will not go into details, you can find details scattered at many places in the internet):-
1. Disable System Restore function.
2. Remove unwanted startup function using MSCONFIG command. Most of the updaters and preloading softwares like CFTMON (for MS office) etc can be easily disabled.
3. Defragment Regularly using some softwares like Defraggler, Auslogic Defragmentation software or Smart Defrag
4. Check disk for error using CHKDSK and repair all the errors.
5. Open your cabinet (CPU) atleast once in a month and clean up using vacuum cleaner or a soft brush. Don't use any liquid cleaner or water.
6. Disable Automatically search for network folders and printers
7. Disable Animation and appearance setup to gain speed and RAM
8. Remove unnecessary items from SendTo menu and NEW item menu (right click)
9. Disable Recycle Bin. Tell me truly how many times have you undeleted files from Recycle Bin.
10. Disable music or sound related with Windows events. In particular with start up and shut down.
11. Disable Sidebar is Windows Vista.

Well this list is my idea of speeding up my PC you may or ay not agree with me but this works great for me. I will recommend this steps. Go ahead and tweak your PC after all everyone want their PC to be blazing fast.

If you want more details on anything leave a comment and I will mail you back with reply as soon as possible.

Happy Tweaking.